Cal Poly Wine
Cal Poly wine is produced by Cal Poly students under the mentorship of the Wine and Viticulture department instructors. The Learn by Doing philosophy is embraced in this process as students are responsible for the production of wine from vineyard to bottle.
The majority of the grapes for the program are sourced from the Trestle Vineyard, located on Cal Poly campus. This student-managed, 12.5-acre vineyard is planted with chardonnay, pinot noir, syrah and tempranillo. Additional grapes are donated from commercial vineyards around San Luis Obispo County.
The wine is currently being produced at Orcutt Road Cellars. This wine industry, co-op facility is conveniently located near Cal Poly University. Here student winemakers engage with other local winemakers and are involved in the entire winemaking process.
- 2014 – Alec Perrucci & Kenny Strauss
- 2013 – Kelly Allyn, Ella Johnson & Erik Knapp
- 2012 – Clay Boydston & Jordan Crabtree
- 2009 – Erich Fleck and Charley Johnson
- 2010 – Tom Schmidt & Adam Johnson
- 2008 – Michael Horton
- 2007 – Michael Bruzus & Nicole Chamberlain
- 2006 – Kathryn Allegra & Luke Holcombe
This young and expressive Chardonnay displays a balance of perfume, baked apple and soft white flowers in the bouquet. With time in the glass, more complex pear, white peach, cream and baking spices emerge. Bright acidity, and youthful roasted oak flavors indicate this wine will evolve nicely over the next 2-3 years. Made from 20% Trestle Vineyard New French Oak and barrel fermented for eight months.
Retail Price: $14.00
2014 Pinot Noir
Ripe black cherry, sarsaparilla and damp earth aromatics lead to dark and expressivecherrycompote, cola, graphite and toasted walnut flavors. This complex and rich Pinot Noir displays a great deal of concentration and character. Made from 20% Trestle Vineyard New French Oak and barrel aged for eight months.
Retail Price: $22.00
2014 Syrah Blend
This Syrah-Grenache blend shows red cherry jam, anise and leather aromas in the glass, which evolve into more complex olallieberry and white pepper over time. This medium bodied wine is lively and delicate on the palate, and displays the expressive fruit and herbal characters typical to cool climate Rhone blends. Made from 60% Trestle Vineyard Syrah, 40% Monterey Grenache and barrel aged for eight months.
Retail Price: $18.00
2013 Cabernet Sauvignon
This ruby red Cabernet Sauvignon shows enticing fruit forward aromas of bing cherry, boysenberry and a hint of sage. On the palate, this medium bodied wine has layered flavors of black fruit and spice that finish with lean, soft tannins. This lighter style Cabernet is ready to drink now and would best pair with grilled red meat.
Retail Price: $20.00
- Please provide a business shipping address if possible.
- Someone 21 years of age or older is required to sign for wine at time of delivery.
- You must be 21 or older to purchase Cal Poly wine.
- Sales tax and shipping charges vary by State and will be calculated at time of checkout. To view an estimate of shipping, per bottle, per state, please see: Estimated Shipping Rates.
- Gift packaging may be selected at time of checkout. All gift boxes are black boxes with spirited green and gold shredded stuffing.
- Wine and gift packs are not available for campus pickup. Our wines are available for purchase online and at various locations around town including the Cal Poly Downtown Store, Von's, Central Coast Wines, Cork n' Bottle, Embassy Suiets, and Avila Beach Roasting and Wine.
- We can ship to the following:
|State||Tax %||State||Tax %|
|CA - California||7.500||NV - Nevada||6.850|
|CO - Colorado||NM - New Mexico||5.125|
|DC- District of Columbia||NY - New York||8.500|
|FL - Florida||NC - North Carolina||7.750|
|IL - Illinois||6.250||OR - Oregon|
|IA - Iowa||TX - Texas||6.250|
|KS - Kansas||8.00||VA - Virgina||5.300|
|MI - Michigan||WA - Washington||8.500|
|MN - Minnesota||WI - Wisconsin||5.100|
|MO - Missouri|
Since 1901 Cal Poly has been committed to educational excellence and a Learn by Doing philosophy. We are proud to present this premier wine, representing a collaborative effort by viticulture, enology, and wine business students in the Cal Poly Wine and Viticulture Department. The rich character of this wine reflects Cal Poly's commitment to excellence and the exceptional growing conditions of San Luis Obispo, California.